Learning about guns and firearms is one of the most important things a person can do to ensure they have safe and legal fun. We are a community that provides information and reviews on the very best guns and other firearms, so you can make an informed decision on which product is right for your needs.
Owning a gun today is more complex than ever and guns and firearms can seem very foreign. The US has the most guns per capita than any other country in the world and Americans also have more fatalities from guns than any other country. Gun rights are a hot topic amongst politicians and citizens alike, with new laws on Second Amendment rights being enacted regularly. However, if you have little or no experience with firearms, buying one can seem like a daunting task. It’s crucial to educate yourself before jumping into the market.
Here are five things you need to know about guns and firearms before you start shopping:
- Guns and Firearms are a very common occurrence in the United States and are often purchased, owned and used by local residents. Guns play an important part in sport and survival hunting, protection, crime and law enforcement. Gun owners must be licensed to possess guns, even though there is no license required for purchasing one.
- Guns and firearms are used by a large number of people for recreational purposes. However, not every person can purchase a gun easily because most states have strict laws that regulate the sale and use of arms. But, you put yourself and other people in danger if you do have one at home. In some states, you must undergo training courses.
- Legal firearms for personal protection, or hunting and target practice, comes in two basic types of guns: handguns and rifles. Each has different means of operation. Both are used to fire ammunition that is similarly constructed from a series of ingredients including primer and powder located in a brass shell casing with bullet. The bullet projectile is what really makes the difference. Bullets for handguns shoot much smaller and slower than bullets for rifles.
- How to use a Gun safely:
- Always treat all firearms as though they are loaded.
- Aim a firearm in a safe direction.
- Do not pull the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Recognize your goal and what lies beyond it.
- Be certain about your goal and what is driving it.
- Be mindful of your target’s surroundings in addition to your target. Because all firearms are capable of causing harm at longer distances than the naked eye can see, be mindful of what is behind, above, and in front of your target at all times.
- Purchasing a firearm may require federal, state, and local permits. You must be 18 to purchase a handgun or long gun (rifle or shotgun) and 21 to purchase a silencer. Before purchasing your first firearm, you should contact the Federal Firearms Licensing Center or consult your state weapon laws for information on state-specific procedures.